Illinois State Medical Inter-insurance Exchange Deploys EthosCE LMS for Continuing Medical Education
- EthosCE Learning Management System
- Single Sign On (SSO) authentication with the membership system
- Support for live and online CME activities
- Fully themed site based on custom design
- Automated ACCME PARS Reporting
- Workflows for dual credit types for curriculum completion
Illinois State Medical Inter-insurance Exchange, more popularly known as ISMIE Mutual, is the largest medical liability insurer in Illinois. Started on July 1, 1976, this physician-owned and led insurance company focuses on fighting defensible claims and providing coverage for all specialties. ISMIE Mutual, along with the Illinois State Medical Society, has been demonstrating its fight for quality health care and physician advocacy through its programs and processes.
Key Requirements for Success
Through strategic initiatives, such as the Risk Rewards Partnership Program, ISMIE Mutual is a leading innovator for risk management. Critical factors required for the success of this program were:
- A high percent of physician participation would be required to participate in online courses.
- A compelling and intuitive user interface for the physicians, including search capabilities for finding courses.
- Single Sign-On (SSO) integration with the ISMIE Mutual’s membership management system to allow only authorized users access Risk Management resources.
- Migration of course completion data from a legacy learning management system (LMS
- Provide anytime, anywhere access to courses and other related information via iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices.
- Streamline the business rules to validate and award discount credits for users who completed the curriculum.
- Workflows for awarding dual credit types for users on completion of a single course.
- Deliver custom configurations and provide ongoing training the ISMIE Mutual team for platform administration within a tight deadline.
DLC Solutions worked with the Department of Risk Management at ISMIE Mutual to implement the full-featured CME Web platform using our EthosCE Learning Management System. The finished Web platform is intuitive, yet powerful, and aims at greater physician involvement in CME activities. The Single Sign-On integration with the myISMIE.com site ensures the learning management system is accessible only to authorized users and eliminates the need for an additional registration. The ease of navigation through the menu items and the content in the interior pages makes it a compelling choice for use on mobile devices.
Another key accomplishment in this engagement is the automation of the curriculum display for learners based on their specific completion history. EthosCE personalizes the listing of courses available to the learner based on the courses they have previously completed. And, finally, we successfully migrated learner transcripts from a legacy learning management system to EthosCE so the transition to the new platform would be seamless to the physician learners and staff.
ISMIE’s EthosCE installation included custom development, which required comprehensive testing and detailed documentation to be completed within a short time frame. To ensure accurate development and progress reporting back to ISMIE, DLC utilized its suite of project management tools to keep tasks on track. ISMIE was provided with weekly status updates on all tasks, as well as weekly budget reports to avoid cost overruns. Ultimately, ISMIE has been trained on all the custom configurations and were up and running on EthosCE by the agreed upon deadline. Reaction to the system has been very positive and we are now moving into Phase II planning and development.